Monday, December 7, 2009

Six Pack Abs - Too Many People Do Too Many Reps Too Many times!



In training many people from many different Countries I've been able to not only pick up a good feel for how different people and body types respond to different training. But also compile actual facts and a clear understanding of what works for people trying to get six pack abs and their 'perfect' midsection. When I started training at the age of 15 (15 odd years ago - wow!) I jumped into it like a boy possessed. And I did exactly what I'm going to tell you all NOT to do. I did my 100, 200, 300 sit ups like a 'fiend' - sweating like mad as I did exactly what my workout through the mail' told me to do...

I now know different.

You see as far as I'm concerned and judging by the results of the programs I've set people on, a varied approach is my big 'thing' based around a principle of some days less and some days more. It is OK to do an occasional workout of 100 'crunches and 100 leg raises' for example. I like that approach as a good 'Shock' treatment. BUT I do not do it religiously and I don't want you to. I believe, and so do my students, that you need to treat abs like any other muscle and even though some may disagree I feel a rep range of say 6-10 intense reps in 5 sets with minimal rest is one great example of a lower rep count BUT absolute intensity that will produce results...

I have numerous other programs that I mix and match with the odd 100 sit up 'stomach burner'. But the moral of the article is please, please, please do not just stay stuck in the '80's' and continue the 100+ sit ups as your only abdominal workout plan.

Sincere best wishes to you all, Tristan

Tristan Lewis is a Certified Fitness Professional, Personal Trainer and Author of the most informative book on abdominal training on the internet. He has traveled the world training clients and has spent 15 years in over 15 Countries in the research of his book. His AbMetrics - The Global Almanac of Proven Abdominal Training was researched thoroughly and provides many new and exciting proven abdominal exercises as well as a structuring of the 'classics' that work.

Get the book now http://www.fastsixpackabs.com

Labels: , , , , , , ,